http://www.sbs.com.au/theboat/
This is a pretty heart-wrenching piece about refugees who fled Vietnam following the end of the Vietnam War. It retells a short story about life on one of the refugee boats, mixing text, sound, and watercolor illustrations beautifully, alongside bits of video. I chose this piece because I don't think it is something many people are aware of, despite knowing of the Vietnam War. It humanizes the refugees as well, which is a topic that continues to be relevant today in regards to Syria.
I wasn't a huge fan of the length of the narrative, although I can understand why the length was necessary. It takes around 15 minutes to view the entire piece, which doesn't seem like much, but can be a pretty big time commitment for someone just looking for "news" pieces. While I think condensing it would have damaged its overall impact, it is tricky considering how short the attention span of the average viewer seems to be nowadays.
No comments:
Post a Comment